This year I will strive to be a more healthy version of myself. Realistically, I don't see myself making too many drastic changes, though I'm hoping that if I stick to these resolutions, it'll help me achieve my goal:
- Meal planning: Often, I end up doing my grocery shopping without any rhyme or reason, and end up coming home with a hodge podge of food and not necessarily the ingredients for healthy meals. So in the coming year, I will strive to make a grocery list (which should be easy, since I love a list) which contains meal ideas for the coming week.
- Pack lunch: Starting next week, my maternity leave will be ending (side note, sad!!) and I'll be returning to my full time job. I've always been pretty reliant on the cafeteria at work, which is neither healthy nor economical. So in order to make this a bit more tangible, my goal will be to pack lunch at least 4 out of 5 days a week.
- Limit alcohol consumption: There's not much mystery why B and I are the best of gals, and just like her resolution, I also need to make sure I keep my alcohol consumption in check. I've gotten better with this thanks to nursing Baby M, but I'm certainly no stranger to good ole pump and dump session. So, I also will be resolving to only drink alcohol during the weekend.
- Keep Baby M healthy: In addition to keeping myself healthy, I'm also responsible for the health of my amazing little guy, Baby M! When I was pregnant, I told myself I'd be happy if I was able to nurse him until 6 months, but now that I'm just 2 short months away from that, I want to continue until he's a year old, and can make the switch to milk. Additionally, once he starts eating solid foods, I plan to make everything myself, rather than reach for the jarred food, so he's getting a more nutritious meal, and setting the foundation for being a good eater.
- Find fun ways to stay active: While I could really benefit from a gym membership, realistically I don't see it being much use to me, especially since my down time will be limited once I'm back at work. Instead, I want to find fun ways to be active, while spending time with Baby M and GG. I'm hoping once the weather warms a bit, we can continue taking long walks around the neighborhood, which we loved doing during the Fall.
Don't we all hope that 2014 brings lots of wealth for a prosperous year?! Of course we do! So here are some of the ways I plan to increase my wealth this year:
- Meal planning/pack lunch: See above! I'm already loving my theme for this year, since my first 2 resolutions will also satisfy my goal for wealth in the new year!
- Shop my own closet/cabinets: While I was getting ready for Baby M's arrival, I moved around a lot of my clothes and realized just how much I own that never gets worn! Some of it is due to it no longer fitting, though I'm hoping that my Health resolutions will help with that, but mostly I don't even realize how much I already own! So the next time I get the urge to buy something (regardless of how much of a deal it is!), I plan to go shopping in my own closet and discover the clothing items that were previously cast aside. Additionally, I've been known to be quite the product junkie, so before I hit submit on that unnecessary Sephora order, I plan to scour my own cabinet and use the products I already have.
- Start some serious long-term saving: Grill Guy and I recently met with a financial planner to get Baby M setup with a college fund, and in addition to that we are looking into being smarter with our savings. Instead of just letting our money sit in a virtually no interest savings account, we are going to be investing smarter in the coming year (and beyond!).
- Coupons: Don't worry, you won't be seeing me on the next episode of extreme couponing, but I do plan to be smarter about my shopping in the coming year. Simply taking a half hour before a trip to the grocery store on various coupon websites allows me to save big bucks! Well.. maybe not big bucks, but a penny saved, is a penny earned!
This one doesn't really need much introduction - I resolve to be the happiest me that's possible, and these are some of the ways I plan to make that happen!
- Date night: Now that we're starting to get the hang of this whole parenting thing, Grill Guy and I need to make sure we are taking time out for just the two of us. As cheesy as date night might sound to some, it's a good way to ensure we are having some fun out and about! So my resolution is to have at least one date night a month.
- A more together me: Again, now that I'm heading back to work soon and have a couple of months under my belt as a parent, it's time to step up my beauty and style game! These past months being on maternity leave having been an amazing bonding experience with Baby M, but often I would go a whole day without leaving the house… and therefore really didn't see the need to put on any makeup or do my hair. Well that's about to change in the new year! I already have an appointment this Friday to get my mane in order, and while I'm shopping my closet and beauty cabinets, I'll hopefully be presenting a more together me in the new year.
- Finish what I start: I've been known to start up a project or activity fast and furious, but also lose steam quickly and leave it before I complete it (which happens to be a huge pet peeve of GG!) Case in point, I started crafting a custom mosaiced toy box for Baby M while I was still pregnant that I've yet to finish. Now that he received way too many toys for Christmas, we need it to get finished so I can fill it up with his new loot!
- Spend more time with family: I've now been back in Jersey for over a year, yet it seems that I only see my family during holidays and celebrations. I think sometimes I forget that I now live only 20 minutes away from most of my family and it's not really a big deal to have impromptu get togethers!
- Blog, Blog, Blog: And last, but certainly not least is to make The Sequin Notebook the best that it can be! We had a fantastic first year, but I truly believe the best is yet to come. And luckily I had B to help pick up the slack while I was bonding with Baby M, but I promise to be back and better than ever in the new year!
Phew, now that I see it all typed out, it's quite the list of resolutions! But honestly, none are that groundbreaking and I think they are certainly attainable! And to keep myself accountable, I'll be back along with B in April to check in and let you know how I've done with my quest for Health, Wealth, and Happiness in 2014!