What occasion could possibly bring Lorde, Miley Cyrus, Sia, Lenny Kravitz, Lady Gaga, and Justin Timberlake all together in the same room?
(Hint: It isn't the Grammys).
It's the birthday party of the one and only Ms. Britney Jean Spears (or at least, the birthday of her biggest fan!).
|It's Britney (and Gaga), bitch.|
My friend is a Britney fanatic and a pop music junkie, so there was no better way to celebrate his birthday than by throwing a Pop Star Palooza. I don't know about you but for me, dressing up in costume only at Halloween just isn't enough, so I was excited to have the opportunity to throw on a pink and blonde wig along with lots of glitter and accessories to pay homage to Lady Gaga. Let's meet some of the other guests:
|Justin Timberlake - potential ex drama with Britney!|
|Lorde and Lenny Kravitz|
|Adele and her Grammys|
|Miley and her foam finger|
|Even Blue Ivy stayed up past her bedtime to make an appearance!|
After the paparazzi had their fill, we grabbed some food from craft services (aka a pizza delivery) and traveled upstairs to a rooftop with gorgeous city views.
|P!nk, Lenny Kravitz, and a de-wigged Lorde handled the food delivery.|
Of course, there was still time for more photos on our way to the roof.
|Gaga and Adele meet Harry Styles and Taylor Swift!|
|TSwift and Gaga|
If you want to live the celebrity life for a night, here are some tips for you to throw your own Pop Star Palooza:
* Have everyone sign up for a particular pop star. In order to ensure no duplicates, everyone emailed "Britney" in advance with the pop star of his/her choice, and Britney sent periodic emails to the group letting us know which stars would be in attendance. Since we didn't know who was portraying each star, it added a fun element of surprise to the party to see who was playing who. In addition to the stars captured in these photographs, others at the party included Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, Macklemore, Solange, Ashley Tisdale, and more, so there was definitely a wide range of star power present!
* Go all out on your costume...really. Britney's hand-bedazzled bodysuit was clearly amazing, but as a whole the entire group really committed to the theme! Miley was spot-on with her authentic bodysuit, foam finger, and mini buns, and Adele's necklace of Grammys added an iconic touch. My favorite part of my costume was my rhinestone sunglasses, which I had actually crafted several years ago when I dressed up as Snooki for Halloween!
* Set up a photo wall. The silver streamers mixed with brightly colored crepe paper were a pretty backdrop to the many photos taken that evening, and made it feel like a true red carpet moment.
* Build a killer playlist of pop hits. This one is obviously a MUST. It was particularly fun when "our" songs came on the playlist, since it led to some impromptu performances!
* Hold a lip synch battle. This one will depend on how outgoing your group is (though if they're willing to dress up as pop stars, chances are that they're willing to play along with this, too!). We competed against each other in lip synch battles that got pretty intense - facial expressions, lyrics knowledge, and dance skills all count!
* Serve some special snacks that fit the theme. There is no way that Britney would ever throw a party without her beloved Cheetos, so of course we had to have a big bowl of those orange treats at her birthday party!
* Serenade the guest of honor with his/her most famous song. All celebrities like to be reminded of their greatest hits, right? "Happy birthday" is too pedestrian and played out for a star of Britney's caliber, so we honored Britney's glory days by singing "Hit Me Baby One More Time" as she blew out her candles.
|Happy birthday, Britney!|
Which pop star knocked it out of the park for you with his/her look?