|It's Britney('s birthday), bitch.|
One of my favorite things to do is dress up in costumes since it's so much fun to walk in someone else's shoes for the night (especially when they are very sparkly heels!). My good friend (and TSN guest blogger) J is a Britney Spears fanatic and a lover of all things pop culture, so it made perfect sense when he threw himself a pop star themed party for his birthday last year. Everyone had such a blast that it became an annual tradition, so we all recently suited up for the 2nd annual Pop Star Palooza!
|My celeb costume: Ariana Grande|
I previously shared some tips on how to throw your own pop star party, so here is an updated list of recommendations with some additions from this year.
|Ginger Spice and Jason Mraz|
* Have everyone sign up for a particular pop star. In order to ensure no duplicates, everyone emailed J (aka Britney) in advance with the pop star of his/her choice, and Britney sent periodic emails to the group (in character) letting us know which stars would be in attendance. Since we didn't know which guests would be portraying each star, it added a fun element of surprise to the party to see who was playing who. From classic divas like Dolly Parton to It Girl Jessie J, it was fantastic to have a wide variety of stars represented!
|Britney and Beyonce|
* Go all out on your costume...really. As the guest of honor, J had a lot to live up (especially after dazzling last year in Britney's iconic rhinestone-encrusted bodysuit), but he once again delivered a classic Britney look in the form of her shiny red catsuit. Even his highlighted wig is totally on-point! I had a difficult time narrowing down my look since Ariana Grande is frequently decked out in many different girly, glitzy outfits so I watched several of her videos before deciding to recreate her look from "Problem" - the white go-go boots were definitely the key piece in tying it all together.
|Britney and Adam Lambert|
* Set up a photo wall. The lime green wall mixed with the classic brick created a fun, unexpected backdrop that was totally Instagram-worthy.
|Ariana and Ginger Spice|
* Build a killer playlist of pop hits. This one is obviously a MUST. It was particularly fun when "our" songs came on the playlist, since it led to some impromptu performances!
* Hold a lip synch battle. This one will depend on how outgoing your group is (though if they're willing to dress up as pop stars, chances are that they're willing to play along with this, too!). We competed against each other in lip synch battles that got pretty intense - facial expressions, lyrics knowledge, and dance skills all count!
* Serve some special snacks that fit the theme. There is no way that Britney would ever throw a party without her beloved Cheetos, so of course we had to have a big bowl of those orange treats at her birthday party!
|T and me...70s Elton John and Ariana Grande definitely make an unexpected celeb couple!|
* Serenade the guest of honor with his/her most famous song. All celebrities like to be reminded of their greatest hits, right? "Happy birthday" is too pedestrian and played out for a star of Britney's caliber, so we honored Britney's glory days by singing "Hit Me Baby One More Time" as she blew out her candles.
|Dolly Parton and Ginger Spice|
If you were attending a pop star party, which celebrity would you be?