When it comes to dessert, I'm usually a chocolate gal all the way! However, thanks to my recent apple picking excursion, I've been trying to find new ways to incorporate apples into my meals which has made me rethink my chocolate-only dessert rule.
T and I have been hosting several small dinners for friends who want to come over and see our new apartment, and this yummy caramel apple oatmeal crumble has been on heavy rotation in those menus! The blend of warm crumble and cold ice cream melts in your mouth, and the gooey caramel mixed with the fresh apples and spicy cinnamon just screams "FALL!" It's easier to make than apple pie but every bit as delicious, and would make a welcome addition to your Thanksgiving table (or, you know, to your Netflix and chill on the couch in sweatpants night!).
Caramel Apple Oatmeal Crumble
* 4 large apples, chopped
* 1 packet of oatmeal cookie mix
* 1/2 cup butter, melted
* 3/4 cup caramel sauce
* 3 teaspoons cinnamon
* Vanilla ice cream
* Cinnamon sticks
* Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
* Stir the butter and oatmeal cookie mix in a large bowl until the texture is crumbly.
* Combine the apples, 1/2 cup of the caramel sauce, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in a second bowl. Spoon into a 13x9 glass baking dish (make sure to use cooking spray to prep the dish first). Add the cookie mix on top.
* Bake for 35-40 minutes (or until the apples are tender and the topping is golden brown).
* Spoon into bowls and top with a scoop (or two) of vanilla ice cream. Dust the ice cream with the remaining cinnamon, drizzle with the remaining caramel, and garnish with cinnamon sticks.
Mmmm...what's your favorite apple-based dessert?