Breakfast has always been my least favorite meal of the day (don't judge me!). I've never understood the whole "breakfast for dinner" phenomenon and I'm guilty of typically skipping it in the morning. I know there are tons of health benefits to this most important meal of the day, so one of my recent goals is to eat at least a small breakfast of Greek yogurt every day. I like to sweeten mine up with some fresh berries and granola, but I've been disappointed with all the sugary, preservative-laden granola options on the supermarket shelves so I decided to make my own (thanks to T's mom for the Pinterest inspiration)!
There are tons of different granola varieties out there so feel free to customize this to your taste, but I like this version because the nuts give it some texture variety and the dried fruit lends a nice pop of sweetness. Not only is it yummy on top of a yogurt parfait but it's also a great snack all on its own (I keep hoarding baggies of it in all of my purses, haha). My favorite thing about this recipe is that it makes a huge batch, so just store it in an airtight container and you've got granola for weeks! So easy, and much cheaper than the supermarket version!
(Adapted from Bake Play Smile)
* 1/2 cup almonds
* 1/2 cup cashews
* 1/2 cup coconut oil
* 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
* 4 cups rolled oats
* 1/2 cup pomegranate Craisins (or other dried fruit)
* Preheat oven to 310 degrees.
* Roughly chop nuts and place in a large mixing bowl.
* Add the rolled oats to the nuts.
* Mix the honey and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir in the brown sugar, and heat for an additional 30 seconds.
* Stir the vanilla, cinnamon, and salt into the honey/coconut oil mixture. Pour into the oats/nuts bowl and stir to combine.
* Line a baking tray with parchment paper and pour the granola in. Bake for 30 minutes or until light brown. While cooking, remove the tray every 10 minutes to thoroughly stir, then return it to the oven.
* With 5 minutes remaining in the cooking time, add the Craisins and stir to combine.
* Remove the tray from the oven and allow it to cool completely so that the granola can harden.
* Once hardened, break the granola up into clusters and store in an airtight container.
What are your favorite easy breakfasts for busy mornings?
Linking up today with Jennifer Juniper, Karyn, Kristen, Emily, Mandy, Mary, Mandy, Susan, Lisa, Pam, Sarah, Lori, Tammy, and Natasha!