Tuesday, March 29, 2016
12 Things to Do This Spring
Spring has officially sprung, and I've always loved the start of this season since it feels like the slate has been wiped clean and we get a fresh start (and, ok, I may also like the beginning of spring since my birthday coincides with the first day of the season!). In order to maximize some season-specific fun, I've put together a list of 12 things I'd like to do this spring:
* Enjoy a leisurely picnic: Once the temperatures creep up just a bit more, I'm ready to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon in Astoria Park with some freshly-made salads and sandwiches and a good book (and fingers crossed, perhaps I can also convince T to bring along his guitar).
* Visit food markets: I love going to all sorts of food festivals but most of them have been shut down for the winter, so I've marked my calendar with the opening dates for my favorite markets so that I can taste-test the various booths and bring home some fresh produce and protein for dinner. Speaking of which...
* Try 1 new recipe a week: As much as I enjoy soups year-round, I'm excited to spice up our weekly menu with some spring-ready veggies and new, lighter dishes.
* Increase my yoga routine: I started getting back into yoga over the past few months and really want to amp up my efforts by visiting a studio at least once a week.
* Outdoor happy hours and dinners: Can't wait to clear off the dust from our patio furniture and start enjoying some alfresco cocktails and meals!
* Declutter and organize the apartment: My Konmari obsession continues to grow and I'm determined to declutter my belongings and reorganize them as part of my spring cleaning effort.
* Increase weekend neighborhood walks: Ever since we got Fitbits in the fall, T and I have been taking long strolls around our neighborhood over the weekend. It's one of my favorite ways to spend time together (and get my steps in) so I definitely want to increase the length of these walks now that the weather is getting nicer.
* Attend a baseball and soccer game: I've been lucky enough to attend several basketball games throughout March Madness, but now it's time to take the sports back outdoors and cheer on the Yankees and our local New York City soccer club!
* Plan a weekend getaway: My Florida trip was only last month but I'm already itching for another long weekend away...perhaps Charleston, Nashville, or Boston...the possibilities are endless!
* Host a Cinco de Mayo taco night: I can never resist a fun Mexican fiesta, so Cinco de Mayo is the perfect opportunity to put together a taco bar and serve up some frosty margs!
* Enjoy a Kentucky Derby promenade: Don't get me wrong, I love the mint juleps but my favorite part of the Derby is all of the fancy finery! I'm excited to put on some dapper Derby duds and promenade through the neighborhood.
* Pick fresh strawberries: Strawberries are my very favorite fruit but they are in season for only a very short window of time in early June, so this year I'm determined to find a pick-your-own farm and not let that opportunity slip me by!
Are any of these items on your spring list? How do you plan to enjoy this season?