After reading fellow March baby Biana's post about 29 things about herself for her 29th birthday, I thought it would be fun to use the same format in anticipation of my birthday this Sunday (well, my list has a few more items than hers to account for my additional years!). Here's a mixed bag of 33 things to help you get to know me a little better:
1) My very first job was spent folding knee socks and silk screening gym clothes at the school uniform store during my high school summers. As a big bonus, that's when M and I first became friends!
2) People are always curious about my height, so...I am officially 4'8.5" (though my license says I'm 4'10"). I can always tell that a new person is starting to get comfortable with me when they ask me how tall I am.
3) I absolutely love living in NYC and always thought I'd be one of those people who never leave Manhattan, but living in Astoria this past year has been pretty amazing and I'm so happy to call it home.
4) I've always had a hard time decluttering and paring down my many possessions, but I'm now totally obsessed with the Konmari method. For the first time, I've been a purging machine ever since reading this book, and I already feel so much lighter just from getting rid of these things I don't need!
5) I have a Master's degree in Theatre.
6) When I was in college, my singing group went to Vienna for spring break and I got super sick right at the beginning of the trip. It was so bad that I had to fly home early and I was violently ill on my return flight from Vienna to Paris. In the Paris airport, I curled up on the floor before boarding the final leg of my trip and thought I would never be able to stand up again. Suddenly, I saw someone kneel down beside me and start playing the flute. When his song was finished, he introduced himself to me and said he had just completed snake charming training. I immediately felt healthy again and made a full recovery right away.
7) I (somewhat reluctantly) joined Snapchat recently (follow me at: SequinNotebookB) and I have to confess that I still don't quite get it! Which makes me feel old, haha.
8) I've been a bridesmaid in many weddings and I always fill the same role at the bridal shower...emcee of the party games! For some reason, I just can't resist hamming it up and keeping the party going!
9) Ever since I appeared on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, I've totally been bit by the game show bug and can't wait to apply and go on another one.
10) I have a tendency to hoard crafting supplies, especially tissue paper in a whole rainbow of pretty shades.
11) If health concerns were no object, I would literally eat pizza for dinner every single day.
12) As much as I love pizza, the reverse is true for seafood - no thanks!
13) My #1 guilty pleasure is watching cheesy Lifetime original movies. Yes, they are completely preposterous, and the horrible scripting is matched only by the terrible acting, but they're my jam. I always have them on in the background when I'm working on projects at home.
14) The first concert I ever attended was Michael Bolton (yes, this was the early 90s). Even crazier - Celine Dion was his opening act!
15) I skipped third grade.
16) I am a total morning person and get all of my best work done before lunch. Even on the weekends, I like to get all of my errands out of the way nice and early so that I can just sit back and enjoy the rest of the day.
17) In case you're searching for a birthday treat for me (how sweet of you!), the very best cupcakes are chocolate ones topped with absolutely huge amounts of frosting...Magnolia, I'm looking at you.
18) I like trying different kinds of fitness classes, but Zumba will always have my heart, especially when they start cranking up the 90s hip hop!
19) I've traveled to a bunch of beautiful places, some highlights being: Greece, The Netherlands, Italy, Japan, Ireland, France, Belgium, England, and more...
20) And I would love to travel to many more! I'd really love to plan a long weekend in Charleston or Nashville this year.
21) I haven't driven a car in close to 5 years and don't miss driving at all!
22) Between Ebates, Dollar Tree, promo codes, and birthday freebies, I'm all about bargain hunting and finding the best possible deal for quality items.
23) As much as I love planning the smallest detail of every party, there is one task that I dread and always pass off to M or T...creating the playlist. For some reason, this stresses me out more than any other party task!
24) Here's my cycle of making cake pops: Get excited about the adorable, delicious design I have planned / run out of time and launch a marathon cake pop session that takes hours and hours / get delirious from lack of sleep and cry when a cake pop falls off its stick back into the chocolate / swear that I am never making cake pops EVER AGAIN / serve the cake pops at the party / receive showers of praise for the cake pops / begin planning the adorable, delicious cake pop design for my next party.
25) In order, my top 3 favorite celebrities that I've met are: Michael Buble, Andy Cohen, Bethenny Frankel
26) I'm terrible at remembering quotes from TV and movies with one notable exception: Sex and the City. I consider myself an expert on the series and can still find ways to apply its storylines to almost any situation.
27) Pampering is fantastic...pedicures and massages will always be a treat but if I really want to do something special for myself, Drybar tops my list every time!
28) This probably won't come as a surprise to other bloggers, but I am definitely the planner of my friend group. When an event or group outing needs to be organized, I usually take a lead role and while it's a lot of work, I like taking charge to make sure that everything gets done!
29) One of my favorite roles is being a godmother to Little M - he truly lights up my day every time I see him! It doesn't hurt that Little M and T have become big time buddies...the last time we saw Little M, he point-blank asked T, "When are you coming to my house?" so I'm excited to plan a playdate with my favorite little guy soon!
30) My birthday is March 20th, which is the first day of spring and the last day of the zodiac.
31) I've never been very athletic, but I was a cheerleader for many years and loved being at the top of all of the pyramids. This was also a great spot for me since I never learned how to do any gymnastics, not even a cartwheel, haha.
32) This may be my New Jersey background showing, but I'll always have a weakness for sequin heels and anything leopard print.
33) As I'm on the cusp of 33, there's so many things I still have to learn but here's one little bit of wisdom about friendship I've picked up over the years...if you expect all friends to be all things to you at all times, you'll inevitably be disappointed. For example, there are some friends that are super fun to hang out with at happy hour, but who I'd never call to discuss a work problem or family matter (luckily, I have M on speed dial for that!). I've come to appreciate my friends for the value they each individually bring to my life, and not expect them to fulfill all of my needs.
Can you relate to any things on this list? Cheers to the weekend, I'm excited to ring in 33!